There are times when my spirit feels tired. It's different than being physically tired -- in some ways its even more debilitating. It can also take more than rest and sleep to replentish my spirit. I am guessing that people experience a tired spirit during service in the Peace Corps. Before now, I have not consciously thought the things that feed and heal my spirit.
[Insert considerable time here, while I think about those things that feed my spirit]
Through the miracle of time-lapse writing, here is my list:
- Breath meditation
- Reading the right kind of book
- Receiving a caring smile from another person
- Giving someone a small, unexpected gift
Item #4 -- Food For the Spirit
I will carefully store the following items in my emergency kit:
- A series of small, thoughtful gifts.
- I will draw a small picture in my Book of Thoughts accompanied with the words "Smile More".
- I will write the following phrase in my Book of Thoughts "Meditate More". I will draw a bunch of vines around the words.
- The wonderful book "The Art of Being A Healing Presence" by James Miller & Susan Cutshal. This book has a strange an unexpected effect on me -- it gives me a feeling of serenity and provides a hearty meal for my spirit!