Tuesday, August 31, 2004

What do you do?

When I am first introduced to a new person, I often count the moments until they ask me one of the following questions:

  • So, what do you do for a living?
  • Where do you work?

(Ya, I know it's kind of a strange habit -- believe me, it's not my only strange habit)

When people ask me those questions, I wonder if they are really trying to ask a question that will help them understand "who I am". Sometimes this makes me sad, because as I am describing my job to them, I know it is not telling them very much about who I am.

(This also points out a basic need I have -- to be understood by others)

I have a feeling that this same disconnect is true for other people -- their job does not describe much about who they are.

What if your job was an expression of who you are?



As an interesting aside, in some countries instead of asking about your job, people will ask:

  • What is your hobby?
  • What do you do for fun?

No comments: