Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Debt Elimination Shifts Gears

Today I shifted my debt elimination project into the next gear.

[I need to be debt free by the time I enter the Peace Corps.]

First, I woke up and cut-up my credit card. I still have some lingering debt associated with it (left over from the trip to China). I must not add any more liability to it!

Second, before leaving for work this morning, I took a picture of my motorcycle. When I got to work, I used the picture to create a quick electronic posting in our company classifieds listing my motorcycle for sale. I will be sad to see it go.

This is how I have convinced myself to sell it:

  • I could use the money to greatly reduce my debt.
  • I can save money on reduced insurance costs.
  • I don't feel that it makes sense to store it for two years -- especially because I am not sure what I will be doing when I complete my service with the Peace Corps.
  • I can always buy a cheaper bike if I need one; when I get back.

If you know anyone looking for a nice sport bike, send 'em my way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its hard to let things go, but often in the end it works out for the better

Jay Haase said...

I know you're right. Thank you for the support.