I've been trying to find some juicy Peace Corps statistics for a while now. There does not seem to be many sources of said statistics.
With that said, I have found a few interesting stats. Here they are, in no particular order:
Application Statistics (compiled from a variety of sources):
- The Peace Corps receives over 120,000 inquiries each year from people interested in applying.
- The Peace Corps receives approximately 11,000 applications each year.
- There are approximately 4,000 volunteer positions available each year (36%).
Electricity availability (from a 1997 survey)
- 50% of PCVs always had electricity
- 25% of PCVs lived with electricity sometimes
- 25% of PCVs lived with no electricity
Water availability (from a 1997 survey)
- 42% of PCVs had reliable sources of running water
- 30% of PCVs sometimes had running water
- 28% of PCVs had no running water
Email availability (from a 1997 survey)
- 7% of PCVs always had access to email
- 8% of PCVs sometimes had access to email
- 85% of PCVs never had access to email
- Most men lost weight while serving
- Most women gained weight while serving (just a few pounds)