Monday, October 03, 2005

First 3 Months

A couple of days ago, I learned the name of the city I will be staying in during my first three months of training. Each new piece of information makes my assignment in Namibia feel more real!

I have decided not to post the city's name in respect for my potential host family. I currently do the same thing for my family and friends here in the States when I blog about my travels to their homes.

I can say I will be staying in the province of Damaraland. Here is a description of the area I found on the web:

Central Namibia and Damaraland are one of the last remaining wilderness areas in Southern Africa. It is a world of incredible mountain scenery, a refuge for the rare desert dwelling elephant and black rhinoceros. The eastern boundary coincide with escarpment mountains, and finally with the Skeleton Park in the west. A sense a freedom is generated by the wide horizons, the clear unpolluted skies and a population density, which is among the lowest in the world. This feeling of tranquility and stillness combines with a landscape which is singular in its colors, full of contrasts of light and shade.

No comments: